Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Overalls are a GO!!

I have been obsessing over trying to make a pair of 1940's style overalls...seemed like they'd be comfy and flattering to my ... um ... more rubenesque figure.  Sadly, I couldn't use a vintage pattern, for several reasons.  Can't afford to purchase one, and I'm pretty sure that once I bought one I wouldn't be able to bring myself to cut it up.  *L*  And, finally, those girls in the 40's where a bit skinnier than I am so I would have to do some major modifications. So, in true Trixie fashion I morphed a couple of other patterns into what I was looking for.
Using Betty the dress dummy is AWESOME...why I never made one of those before is a mystery.  It made sizing so much easier!  She's not quite as "soft" as I am, but what a great tool to have!
My husband got me a book for Christmas called Sewing for Plus Size by Barbara Deck.  What a great book.
She shows you how to correctly alter patterns to fit us bigger gals.  I tried my hand at moving the darts on the front of my overalls and wouldn't you know it....it worked!  *L*  So, it would seem that my sewing skills are advancing again just by using the right tools and information....who knew??
I had a few hiccups with the overalls...this is the second incarnation of them.  I buggered the zipper a bit and my next pair will have a slightly longer crotch....but they're really comfy, I look sorta dressy while still being able to wear overalls.  So great!

 Hubby and I went searching junk stores yesterday.  I love second hand stores...you find the best stuff for very little money.  I have a bad habit of buying way too much stuff though, because I look at things with a slightly different eye than most.  I look for fabric prints and textures that I love because I know that I can modify it into something I will wear and/or that will fit.  I managed to get away from our shopping trip with two pairs of shoes, one pink plaid shirt and a lavender twin set.
I am most proud of my shoe finds.  The first pair was a black modern take on a vintage oxford.  I LOVE them and I only paid 3 bucks for them!  My second find...and probably the coolest, was a pair of maryjane style Keens!  I have been trying to figure out a way I could score a pair of those, but they're 85 dollar shoes...just couldn't justify it.  However, I found a brand new pair at the second hand store for $1.50.  SCORE!!

I'm going to modify the pink plaid into something a little more form fitting and rockabilly....it's a 5X long sleeved button up....lots of fabric...I can do something with that so check back!

2 comments: